Thursday, February 7, 2008

Hello Out There

Hi Everyone,

So some of this a few of you have read because I started writing individual letters, but am tired and writing about the same stuff. So if you got a short letter enjoy it and you can read it again here. Ok, so I did another copy and paste and lost my letter I wanted to print here. So forget the first line. This will be kind of different.

So Archibad's, how's the weather? is it as bad as it is in Rexburg? Weather is crazy this year. We hear about your tornadoes, floods, snow. In China they had snow in Hanian, which is an island that is supposesd to be like Hawaii. Tour was bitter cold and I had to wear my same blue sweater, layered with a sweat whirt jacke, a coat, neck scarf, hat and glooves for most of the tour. I hate the sweater now! I did buy some fun springy clothes though. Still too cold to wear them. The good part was everyone looked the same. AWFUL! Then most of us got sick at one point or the other, flu or colds. We kept taking herbs the whole time and weren't as bad as some of the couples. At least I didn't get sick until the end and we were almost home.

Dave and Teresa: HOw's the baby doing and are you getting used to having one around again. Fun to get Brent and Kiley's baby here safe and sounds. Kaedyn is a cute name and different. Is Eva warming up to the baby? I guess you heard Emma is expecting this summer some time. I can't believe the babies we are having. It will be fun to have cousins the same age though. Porter and Eva--how's the baby? You should go visit in Idaho and see all the snow! Maybe next year.

Shaun & Kelli: Sounds like you are settle in well. Nice to already know people. The video clips you sent are sure fun. I can't believe how dark and long Addie's hair is! I'm so glad she has hair. How's the weather in Boise? Do you have much snow. Sounds like you left Rexburg just in time to miss the fun stuff. Warren says Mumm's and Mark keep the drive plowed out.

Billie & Russ: Bet you are glad to have four wheel drive this winter! The only thing better would be if you didn't have to go out in it. So do the kids like the ear muffs? I like them because they don't mess up your hair. I will get more before we come home so everyone in snow country can have some. Sounds like you are busy and have a crazy life. Itdoesn't get any better. I guess that is good at least we're not bored. So you kids, how's the snow? Have you missed any school in Rigby? Hope so! Love ya

Ed/ Julie: Already wrote you guys.Thanks for all your help. Enjoy the time off school Ed because you know it won't last. We don't start school for another 2 weeks and I hope to get some lesson plans done by then. Oh for those of you who don't know, Nathan, Ryan, and family dug a huge snow cave in their back yard with rooms in it. Impressive you guys!

Troy & Emma: News of the month--that's great. Hope you get a boy but girls are great. Girls are in the lead for grandchildren right now. 10 to 6. That is novel for my house. How are the kids? Do miss them.

Brent & Kiley: I already wrote you to, but am still excited about the baby and hope all is well.

Warren: I wrote you to. Still love ya.

Ok so tour was awesome even if it was cold and so great to get away from the school for awhile. I almost feel ready to do some serious work on lesson plans. We got to see south West China where there are small towns of 500 million . Small--Right! Anyway we got to see some shows with local dance and music and they were really fun. Dad managed to avoid being called up to dance this time around. One minority there has an interesting life style. The women do all the work in the fields, etc and the men smoke, drink tea, play checkers and watch the kids. When you drove down the road you saw no women in the tea houses, just men. In another village the women were a hat that has four triangles on it. I*f the triangles stick up she is single. If they lay flat she is married. If you are a male and touch the triangle it means you like the girl and they don't let yoiu leav e. You have to work for a year and see if the family learns to like you so you can marry the girl. They were serious and cautioned us over and over not to touch the triangles.

Getting pictures was tricky because most of these people don't like their pictures taken. I got a few with women carrying large baskests on their backs loaded heavily. They also have a yolk of wood that they carry over one shoulder with buckets full of water, fruit, etc on each side. I would think it would hurt your collar bone but they handle them like they were nothing. I also got a picture of one girl washing clothes. They have a large bowl with suddsey water and they squat down by it and wash in front of their homes. Some wash their clothes in the canals in front of the home also. The cities here are modern and huge. The rual areas are still very natural and untouched. There is more and mroe tourism though and it will continue to change the country.

We got to go to the Hong Kong Temple and that was awesome. I really miss the temple. I hope you all got to see the open house in Rexburg. We had a training session and got some neat ideas while we were in Hong Kong. In a couple of areas they had laser light shows from the sky scrapers syncroinized to music along the river. The lights reflect in the water and it is very impressive. Usually last about 15 to 20 minutes.

Well, I am tired to writing so am going to quit. Love you all tons and can't wait to see everyone. Have a Happy Day.

Love ya all,

Mom

No comments: