Friday, October 24, 2008

Hi

Hi Everyone,
Some of you women may get this twice. At least you know I love you.
We are super busy and I know that is no excuse for not writing. I am still working on my version of our last tour 2 week ago. I have 205 students now and dad has around 250. That just doubles our work from last year. We come home from class and read journals until 8 at night. Watch National Geograph which is not good right now, but we are sick of reading so we just need to check out for a bit before going to bed. Go to the store, the local veggie market and do church and that about eats up all our time.
I feel differently about our role here this year. It is kind of like marriage. The longer you are married the quieter and deeper the love becomes. In China we are more accepting of life, we are quieter, and feel more deeply about what we are doing here. We are certainly planting seeds and touching lives. It is very humbling. Sometimes, the weight of the responsibility is heavy--most of the time it just increases my testimony of the gospel. At times I worry a little about the state of economics, and presidential elections at home, but feel we are here doing what we nedd to do and our loved ones will be watched over in their lives and the world will go on without us. It is too distracting to think too much of home worries. Speaking of home--I have had several young men choose to share a talent in the opening program in class, and they sing. They have had beautiful melow voices like Warren's--I must confess it pulls at my heart strings and makes me homesick for a few moments. I almost wish they would not sing.
Here is my funny story but shopping Beijing last week.
We went to Beijing to find some more pearls and do some shopping with some new people teaching here. This hilarious thing happened. We had been shopping all day--on and off the bullet train, subways, buses, you name it—We were now quite bedraggled, and loaded with packages. It was toward late afternoon and we were all getting tired and slap happy. I usually hold onto Dondavid in crowds,so I don't get lost, and, besides, I like to hold his hand. Well we are crossing the road, and I reach up and grab his hand . About half way across the street, I think this feels different and look up. Low and behold I am holding Brother Farrell's hand! He is very kind and is just holding me on one side and his wife is clutching his hand on the other side across the street. I don't know where Dondavid is but this isn't him! Br Farrell is about dad's height and had on blue levis just like dad. I let go and begin to apologize profusely and laughing hysterically. He is really nice and just smiles and chuckles and says he thought if I needed to hold his hand to cross the street it was ok. That wasn't bad enough-- the rest of the group is behind us and sees this. One guy is trying to get his camera out to take a picture—President Bird calls out I had better be careful or I will lose my temple recommend. Dad is in the back of the group and misses the whole thing. Of course, I will never live this down. Everyone repeats the story at church several times Sunday. I get the giggles all over. It gives me some sympathy for children who only see legs in crowds and often the grab the wrong pair to hang onto. At least you know I am in the care of good people here.
Fall has been beautiful this year and it isn't cold yet though it is cooler since it rained last week. Still not wearing coats though. I have to speak in Church Sunday so I am trying to get prepared for class so I can spend tomorrow doing a talk. Well, I best get busy

No comments: